History | Caulfield Grammar School

Reverend J H Davies founded Caulfield Grammar School in Elsternwick, Victoria, in 1881 with just nine pupils. By 1911 it had moved to land that is now the site of the Caulfield Campus in Glen Eira Road, East St Kilda. Today, this campus provides a broad range of learning programs for girls and boys, day students and boarders, in Years 7 to 12.

In 1947, our school pioneered the idea of a rural campus, the first of its kind in Australia. Yarra Junction Campus became the model followed by other schools in providing learning experiences beyond the classroom, remote from students’ familiar routine and environment.

In 1958, Caulfield Grammar School was admitted to membership of the Associated Public Schools of Victoria.

history_horse

Coach: The school drag, which carried students to and from the Hawsburn-Toorak area daily. Circa 1905.

Malvern Memorial Grammar School was affiliated with Caulfield in 1961, becoming the Malvern Campus. This campus now provides learning programs for girls and boys from Kindergarten to Year 6. Students transfer to Caulfield Campus or Wheelers Hill Campus for their secondary schooling.

Recognising the changing needs of metropolitan Melbourne, and with the multi-campus model of operation already successfully established, in December 1978 a new coeducational campus was planned for a 20-hectare site at Wheelers Hill. This magnificent campus was opened in our school’s centenary year 1981, and now provides programs for girls and boys from Pre-Preparatory Year to Year 12.

history_cricket
Members of the premiership winning Athletics team at the MCG, 1905.

A residential facility in Nanjing in China was opened in 1998 – a tangible demonstration of Caulfield Grammar School’s commitment to internationalism. Each year around 300 Year 9 students take part in programs based at the campus.

Completed in 2003, the new Centre for Early Learning Excellence at Wheelers Hill Campus provides purpose built spaces for Pre-Preparatory and Preparatory classes. The stunning architecture supports the Reggio Emilia approach to early learning. The building also incorporates a Science and Technology Centre and Special Needs area.

On Cup Day 2000 the Memorial Hall and Arts Centre at Caulfield Campus were devastated by fire. Rebuilding of the Memorial Hall began at the end of 2002 with a similiar Memorial Hall also being built at Wheelers Hill Campus.

Completed in 2005, The Cripps Centre at Caulfield Campus incorporates a 650-seat Memorial Hall with state-of-the-art theatre facilities, Music School, Visual Arts School, Theatre Studies Centre and Archive Centre. Also completed in 2005, the Memorial Hall complex at Wheelers Hill Campus provides a 650-seat Memorial Hall, Function Room and Chapel.

history_old_school
Building: The third site of Caulfield Grammar School. The brick schoolrooms, boarding accommodation and prominent tower built in 1890 on the Halstead property.