Caulfield Grammar School was established on 25 April, 1881
In 1881, Reverend J H Davies founded Caulfield Grammar School in Elsternwick, Victoria, with just nine students. Today, we are a leading independent co-educational school with over 3,200 students across five campuses offering learning from ELC–Year 12.
Our School Motto, Labora Ut Requiescas, means to ‘Work hard that you may rest content’ and inspires us to persevere in achieving the goals of truth and knowledge represented by the star on the School Badge, surmounting the shield of faith and protection.
1881 Rev. J H Davies founds Caulfield Grammar School in Elsternwick, Victoria, with just nine students.
1888 Rev. E.J Barnett becomes the schools second headmaster after Rev. J.H. Davies leaves for Korea as Australia’s first missionary.
1896 W.M. Buntine becomes headmaster, bringing with him 55 boys from the school he founded, Hawksburn Grammar School.
1909 Caulfield Grammar School moves to Glen Eira Rd, St Kilda East, to the modern school building.
1911 First recorded international student, Wilkie Lum, attends from 1911-1916.
1913 First recorded international boarder, Charles Ying, attends from 1913-1918. He was also a school prefect.
1931 A school council is formed (School Company) to oversee governance of the school when 3rd Headmaster Mr. W.M. Buntine retires. In the same year, the school celebrates its jubilee.
1947 Caulfield Grammar School establishes Australia’s first rural centre at Yarra Junction, inspiring a model that has since been duplicated by many schools.
1958 Caulfield Grammar School is admitted as a member of the Associated Public Schools of Victoria.
1961 Caulfield Grammar School affiliated with Malvern Grammar (founded 1890).
1967 Purchase of the land that would later become the site of Wheelers Hill Campus.
1978 A new strategic plan is devised for Caulfield Grammar School‘s future, aiming to realign the curriculum with modern education needs and practical applications, including increased focus on science and technology.
1979 Shaw House, primary campus from 1949 in May Mayfield St. East St. Kilda, closes at the end of the year.
1981 The school celebrates its Centenary and the opening of Wheelers Hill Campus as a co-educational campus.
1993 Female students commence at Caulfield and Malvern campuses.
1997 Kindergarten program for 3-year-olds starts. Opening of four classrooms for year 5 and 6 and Early Learning Centre.
1998 Newton Hall, Nanjing Campus opens in China, Caulfield Grammar School’s fifth campus. This bold vision, led by Caulfield Grammar Schools 8th Principal, Mr. Stephen Newton AO, has set the foundation for authentic international experiences for thousands of Caulfield Grammar School students.
2000 Opening of the Earth Studies Centre, “Wadambawilam”, and the new dairy and Eco Cabins by Dr. Peter Ellyard at Yarra Junction Campus.
2003 New state-of-the-art Early Learning Centre opened at Wheelers Hill Campus.
2005 Twin Halls Project: Identical halls and chapels built at Caulfield Campus (Cripps Centre) and Wheelers Hill Campus (Lindsay Cuming Auditorium) after the Memorial Hall at Caulfield Campus burns down on Cup Weekend 2000.
2006 Caulfield Grammar School celebrates its 125-year anniversary and the book ‘Outside the Square’ is published in commemoration.
2018 Caulfield Grammar School welcomes new Principal Mr Ashleigh Martin and implements a strategic plan to inspire a mind for the future.
2021 Caulfield Grammar School celebrates 40 years of Wheelers Hill Campus and 40 years of co-education at Caulfield Grammar School. See our Anniversary story and video here.
2021 Yarra Junction Campus celebrates 75 years of Education Outdoors and real-life learning experiences.
2021 Kakadu Year 9 Remote Program begins.
2022 Caulfield Grammar School Reconciliation Action Plan launched.
2023 Caulfield Grammar School celebrates 100 years of the House system.