In 2021, we celebrate 40 years of Wheelers Hill Campus and 40 years of co-education at Caulfield Grammar School.
School history was made on 4 February, 1981 when classes began at the new co-educational campus in our centenary year.
197 boys and girls from Year 3-7 and 10 staff gathered with founding Head of Campus, Milton Cujes (1981-89) at the new campus situated on 20 hectares of sloping scenic land at the foot of the Dandenong Ranges.
On the first day in a whole-campus assembly an overview of school history was shared and Headmaster, Rev A Holmes (1977-92) led the singing of the School Song. Scripture readings from Proverbs and Psalms reminded all present of the legacy from School Founder, Joseph Henry Davies, M.A. (1881-88) that, “the School be a thoroughly Christian one”.
Students gathered for the first-time in the four House groups, each named after respected past alumni, Canon Henry T Langley (1892-95), Bruce C Lumsden (1929-35; Sixth CGS Headmaster 1965-77), Herb McD Shaw (1914-22) and Dux, Norman T Wilsmore (1882-85). School photographs were taken in the afternoon including a historic whole-campus photograph posed on the bank of the No.1 Oval.
Official Opening on Sunday 26 April 1981
About 1750 people attended the opening held on the main lawn on Sunday 26 April 1981 at 3:00pm. The Hon Wal Fife, MP Federal Minister of Education unveiled the plaque and the Bishop of the Southern Region, the Most Rev David Shand, dedicated the campus. After the official ceremony, afternoon tea was served and guests viewed displays, enjoyed a choir performance and inspected the new buildings, including 16 classrooms, change rooms, tuck shop, luncheon shelter, caretaker’s residence, tennis courts and three large playing fields.
In 2021, as we celebrate the 40th year of the Campus and 40 years of co-education at Caulfield Grammar School and welcome Matt Corbett as Deputy Principal – Head of Wheelers Hill Campus. He follows the Heads of Campus, Milton Cujes (1981-89), Russell Morton (1990 -1995), Margaret Webb (1996-2000), Paul Hicks (2001-2004) and Paul Runting (2005-2020).
For further information or resources, contact School Archivist, Judith Gibson.