Our ‘Values in Action’ series shines a light on how our Caulfield Grammar School employees live our School values. Inspiring Creativity is about imagining and initiating new possibilities and turning these into practical outcomes.  

Tina Syros, Science Teacher at Wheelers Hill Secondary Campus, shares how the value Inspiring Creativity is so important in the learning process. ‘Inspiring Creativity is about imagining and initiating new possibilities and turning these into practical outcomes

After I completed my Science degree, I realised that I didn’t want to work in a laboratory. I wanted to work in an environment where I could be creative, give back to the community and regularly meet new people. Teaching was a great option. I love learning, and teaching is about instilling this same love of learning in my students.  

I believe in developing students wholistically. It’s not just about academics, it’s about the whole child. Each child is unique and needs to have a safe, nurturing and stimulating educational environment both inside and outside the classroom to grow physically, mentally, emotionally and socially. This belief is reflected in the guiding principle ‘Mind for Life’ that underpins a Caulfield Grammar School education. 

I try to get to know my students, not only at an academic level but also at a personal level – what they enjoy, what inspires them and what they are driven by. It’s really important as a teacher to form connections and let students know that it is okay to be their true selves. Most importantly, I want them to understand that it’s not about the grade – it’s about the process of learning and understanding. 

Part of this process is inspiring students to be creative in learning from their mistakes and turning them into opportunities. I don’t believe in failure – I believe in feedback. It’s about being able to apply and use feedback to improve. Providing a safe and nurturing learning environment is so important in encouraging students to be take risks and not be afraid of making mistakes. 

I have been doing Karate for eight years and have recently become a black belt, first dan. Black belt grading is physically and mentally demanding and getting to this level involves regular classes, learning Japanese, building a mentality of striving to be your best and being a great role model inside and outside of the dojo. I love the sense of community and the mindset that Karate brings, and I do my best every day to nurture these values in my students. 

Caulfield Grammar School is a values-led school. Our five School Values guide the way we work together and behave. Active interaction with these values supports our students and staff in having clarity and ownership about what it means to be a member of the Caulfield Grammar School community – how we treat each other, and what we expect from each other.